04 July 2008

American Holiday - Foreign Country

I've never been out of the country for an American holiday. So today is a first. Of course no one is off of work or anything: we still have to go our Arabic classes and what not. So my American team here decides to at least celebrate a little. We have an all-American lunch of cheeseburgers, (grilled out, of course) fries, and apple pie. The only thing is there are no pickles. It's the little things that you miss when you don't have them. Other than that, it was really really good. Then we have a good round of some games like catch-phrase and imaginiff.

We did have a couple of believers from here with us, and also a visitor who does not know Christ. So three native people were able to get a small lesson on American culture by spending some time with us today.

So in our own way we still celebrated America's Independence Day. After having spent a few weeks here, it makes me more thankful for all the freedoms we have and honestly take for granted. The Gospel is freely given anywhere in the States. That is not the case here. Sometimes I ask God why am I so privileged to have been born in America. It sometimes doesn't seem fair. It's those times I just have to stop and thank God. Also, as an American, I am one of the most able people to go to the world with the Gospel. With great privilege comes great responsibility.

No comments: