17 July 2012

Ramadan - An Overview



This Friday evening, July 20th, begins Ramadan.  It is the 9th month of the Islamic calendar and is considered to be the most holy month (stay tuned to see why next week). Each year, the dates of Ramadan change. The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar and does not match the Gregorian calendar.  Each year the dates of Ramadan move back approximately 11 days.  

Observing Ramadan includes abstaining from food, drink, smoking, and sexual relations from sunrise to sunset.  The "goal" of Ramadan per se is a time of spiritual renewal. By setting aside material things, they can focus more on the spiritual. It is to be cleansing and purifying. There are always rewards for fasting in Islam, but they are considered to be multiplied when observed during Ramadan. I did mention it's fasting from sunrise to sunset, right? Well, after the sundown, feasting begins with a meal called Iftar.  Traditionally, the first thing eaten is dates - just like the Prophet Mohammed did.

The Muslim people, especially the very religious, work hard to emulate the Prophet Mohammed. They try to dress like him,  eat like him, act like him. The Prophet Mohammed was just a man. We, I am speaking to Christians, know the Truth - His name is Jesus. I must admit I am ashamed to say many Muslims work harder to emulate a man than I work to emulate Christ.  I know I am a sinner and am very faulty, but I can try. The very name "Christian" mean "little Christ." Am I even deserving of this title? Probably not. I long to be able to say as Paul did in 1 Corinthians  11:1,  "Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ."

During the Islamic month of Ramadan, I ask you to pray for the true spiritual renewal of the Muslim people - that they may know Christ. Rather than just a "bless them" type prayer, I looked for some ways to more specifically pray for Muslims. I found an article on a website that had some good suggestions on how to pray for the Muslim people.  http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/muslim-prayer.html

No comments: